My new sushi find.......

Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Having lived in Japan for 2 years back in 2000, I would like to be able to tell you that from day one, I was eating sashimi and sushi like a pro, elegeantly waving my chopsticks around and conversing in fluent Japanese with the chef. Unfortunately, the reality was somewhat different.

Somewhere in the back streets of down town Tokyo, I sat gingerly on the edge of my stool peering over at the plates of raw fish which slowly trundled past me on the conveyor belt. There was no way this stuff was passing over my lips. How did people eat this? It's RAW for god's sake! I tried to think of anything raw I had eaten in the past....strangely enough nothing came to mind unless you counted the raw jelly we used to scoff as kids. I eventually plucked up the courage to sample my first piece of Japanese cuisine (albeit with my fingers) and while not an immediate fan, I did develop a taste and possibly a habit over the next couple of years .

Which is why I'm so happy to have found a new Japanese restaurant right on my door step in Dubai Marina. You could easily pass 'Umi Sushi' if you didn’t know it was there. You have to walk past The Fish and Chip Room (resisting the "sod it, I'm getting a bag of chips with curry sauce" urge) and it's right next door. This quiet restaurant is not much to speak of at first glance with its uninspiring decor and simple layout. Once you get past the picture menu (tacky but it does actually do its job in this case) with just under 100 dishes, you can then get down to business. The 'edadame' (green beans) is served hot and salty and goes well with a plate of 'gyoza' (dumplings) for starters. The portion sizes are relatively large and the chicken with vegetable stirfy and noodles is a meal in itself. For those with smaller stomachs, stick to the sushi which is fresh and delicious. Keep it simple with 'ebi maki' (prawns in rice and seaweed) or order a 'matsu' - 13 pieces of sushi allowing you to try 7 different kinds for 93 dirhams. For those who like the full deal, a bento box is a must and will keep you going for quite some time.

A lively, buzzing, eaterie this place is not, however, if you're a die-hard Japanese food lover, add this one to your list to try. I will certainly be going back and if you decide to skip it, then so be it - more for me!

1 comments:

Cup of Malice said...

I am hungry now!

You write very well Kasoman. Have you given any thought to doing this professionally?