"Wait until you are 30, and then you will know about it", a friend once huffed at me as we were preparing to get ready for a night out.
At the time, I was a sprightly 25 year old who could barely even imagine being 30, never mind what it felt like. Her words came back to haunt me however as I struggled to get myself out of bed after a huge celebration of my own big 3-0. Not being able to cope with a hangover is just one of the downsides to 'supposed maturity'. Constant questioning of oneself and where one should be in the world in terms of status can also be rather annoying. I try to ignore it by lying on the sofa and filling my head with box sets. As you turn 30, all of a sudden life seems more "important". Bucket lists that you made with friends as a joke get routed out as you struggle to reassure yourself that yes, you are accomplished person who is leading an interesting life! Big ticket items, such as marriage and children come to the forefront and if I hear the word 'biological clock' one more time, I will not be responsible for my actions. Time and how you spend it (and in some cases, who you spend it with) becomes crucial. When you are 30, it's a huge thrill to be asked for ID. When you are 30, the anti-wrinkle cream section becomes incredibly interesting. When you are 30, the concept of a weekend night in is not so remote.
They say 30 is the new 20, and 40 is the new 30. I say, damn right. And to my friend, you were absolutely spot on. I certainly did know about it - but you know what? It's not so bad after all........
0 comments:
Post a Comment